Thursday, March 11, 2010

Conquering Socks..

I have been working hard on my first pair of socks.  I scoured the internet for the perfect pattern and I found it!  Here it is -  


Lifestyle Toe Up Socks - No Swatch Needed by Charisa Martin.  


I love this pattern for a few reasons:

1) no swatching, Yes, that's right no swatching
2) It teaches you the technique rather than just a pattern
3) You can use this technique to make any pair of socks with any type of yarn.

So, I started these a few days ago and after frogging back 3 times I finally figured out how many sts I need make a sock that fits me.   You see my problem with socks was not the turning of the heel (A part I actually find easy) but getting my size right. I tried a few patterns casting on the amount of sts stated in the pattern for my size and gauge but every time  they turned out HUGE.  I mean HUGE.  I was so frustrated.  However, I was determined.   So, I kept plugging along and poof - a lovely sock!  YEAH!!!!  I did it! 


BUT......


I have to bind off now  :o


I needed a stretchy bind off.  After all, I didn't want to ruin my perfect sock!  Back to the internet I went and discovered  this bind off method .  Great website with pictures that clearly illustrate this fabulous bind off.  Ta da.. done.


Now the only thing that I have to do it make the other one :)


Back to work I go...

1 comment:

  1. Glad you liked the method! Also, great illustration for the sewn bind off. This is the bind off I recommend in the Lifestyle Socks pattern too.

    Happy Socking!
    Charisa

    ReplyDelete