Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Help Me Help You..

I love custom orders.  They allow me to be creative and they challenge my skills as a knitter and a designer.  That said let me give you a few tips that will help me help you during this process.


So, for example, let's say that you want to order a custom pillow sham.  Great!!  I need to know....

1.  How much do you want to spend?

2.  What color family?

3.  What size pillow?  16x16, 18x18, 20x20, or do you want a custom
     size pillow say one that is not standard.

4.  What kind of material do you want?  (merino wool, wool, alpaca,
     cashmere, bamboo, silk, acrylic, a blend) Do you have yarn you
     purchased that you want me to use?

5.  Do you want easy to care for or dry/spot clean only?

6.  Do you see a style that you want on my site?  on another site?  a
     pattern on a sweater, bag, etc.  (if not, that's fine I can help you
     with that too!)

All of these little bits of information that you provide is like a piece to a puzzle.  I will be able to tell you if what you want is within your price range and if it is not what can be done to make it affordable.

I also want to say a few words about materials and style.  Using this example, pillow shams can be made in ANY color, in ANY size, using ANY material and ANY pattern style you desire, which is why your budget is so important.  The more luxurious the material/style the more expensive the project will become.

Furthermore, I do not add any charges to the materials.  If the yarn costs $40 that is what you pay + time.  If I can get it on sale, the sale price is passed down to you.  I charge, not only for materials, but for my time, my expertise and my skills.  The more complicated the design the more time it will take to make.


If you have yarn that you have in mind and you want to purchase it for this project that is fine by me.  It will also lower the price of the pillow.  However, please do not rush out to buy materials until we have talked.  Not all gauges of yarn will work for every project.  I don't want you to waste your money and time.


Food for Thought:

There are some great yarns out there these days.  Acrylic has come a long way.  It is not that scratchy junk that old Aunt Edith used back in 1946.  There are some great blends out there which are soft and easy to care for which come in a wide range of colors.  So, if you want to keep the costs down a blend may be where you want to be.
No one has to know that it was a merino wool blend rather than straight merino, alpaca, cashmere, llama,  bamboo, silk, etc..

Now, let's get to the fun part.  What can I make for you today?

No comments:

Post a Comment