Monday, August 23, 2010

A Few Words about Seaming

I learned how to seam properly from my grandmother.  She, like myself, is a perfectionist.   I challenge anyone to find her seams in any knitted goodies she makes - really.  You will never find them.  It's like the Where's Waldo of knitting.

She goes to crafts in her retirement community and the women all give her there knitted items to seam.  (chuckle)  These women have been knitting for more years than I am alive and yet, they still can't seam a garment.

Seaming has got to be one of the BEST things that my grandmother has passed down to me.  I can not imagine spending hours and hours meticulously knitting a project just to have it turn out horrible because of seaming.  I know because this has happened to me when I started to knit.  I remember proudly going ot my grandmother to show her what I knit just to have it ripped from my hands because the semaing was, well, tragic!  I have seen it over and over again.  It drives me crazy.

A properly seamed item sets you and your knitted items apart from the "others" that are out there.   Seams are ugly.  I mean we all hate them.  We just need them to go away.  Please, take some time to learn how to seam.  It is well worth the effort.  Your end project will look professional and neat.

There are many ways to seam things.  I use the same method no matter what the pattern calls for (except for stretchy bind off's) and all of my items turn out great! Even, grandma is proud!  So, if you know that you seam better one way and the pattern calls for another way - IGNORE the instructions!  It took me a while to do that, especially in the beginning.

Happy seaming everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment