Saturday, August 13, 2011

Fair Isle Ornament

This is my next fair isle project - small but I love it.   It's still slow going as I have yet to master holding 2 yarns at the same time while knitting.  This pattern from Lion Brand is free - click here for pattern.

This beautiful pattern is not worked in the round and from all that I have recently read about Fair Isle knitting Fair Isle was meant to be worked in the round.  I will be making more of these so I will have to re-write the pattern for working in the round.    This back and forth business is for the birds.  Tweet tweet. (You know how I love to knit in the round.   Less seaming = quick knit)

I think that if I work the first part of the pattern in stockinette sts and join  for working in the round just as the Fair Isle part begins I should have enough room to jam in the foam ball in at the end and sew up the short seam.  But I'm not there yet.  I'll let you know.

This is also a great way to use up small amounts of left over yarn which all knitters have laying around somewhere.   I never knew a knitter who threw away the tiniest bit of yarn that was left over from another knitting project.  I mean it may be useful someday even if it is 20 yrs down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment