Monday, July 30, 2012

Back to Rams and Ewes

It's Olympics time and I am so excited.  I am a HUGE fan.  I watch everything from table tennis to trampoline.  Yes, really. I have 2 DVR's going so I don't miss a thing.  In honor of the 2012 Summer Games I decided to work on this little lap blanket.



I changed the color scheme to blues and light brown because the one above is way too dark for me.  I had started it earlier but frogged it back because my floats were pulling a bit.

I am working with NORO and St. Denis wool yarns.  Neither of which I have knit with before.   I know that NORO is famous for it's bold colors, which I love, but it is not a feel good yarn.  It's scratchy and has no give at all.  Yes, I know once I soak it that the fibers will bloom nicely and soften.   However, it would be nice if it felt soft and beautiful while I was knitting, especially at $20 a skein!

I have knit fair isle before but not as large a project.  Hopefully, by knitting this project I will enhance my skills in fair isle.  There are so many wonderful thing to knit using this method.  I am always trying new techniques to broaden my knitting skills and knowledge.  

In knitting, you are forever learning.  It's one of the reasons why I am passionate about it.  There is ALWAYS something new- a technique, a cast on, a cast off, a stitch, or a new yarn.   As you can tell, I am not one of those knitters that is satisfied with the basics.  I get bored knitting the same thing over and over.  I need to stimulate my creativity at all times.  My second ever project that I knit was a cabled purse!  Yes, first a scarf then I dove into cables.  Let's just say that it wasn't my best piece of work but I was darn proud at the time!

I'll be posting updates as the games progress.  I am not sure that I will be able to finish it by the close with all the other knitting that I need to complete but I hope to put a good dent in it.  Wish me luck and happy Olympics everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment