Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Me vs. The Hat

In an effort to use up some off my stash I started knitting a few things for me.  This in itself is a rare occasion as I usually either gift the things I knit or put them on Etsy.  So, I have been saving these 2 skeins of Rowan Cashsoft with the intention of making myself a hat.  Now is a good time as any & after searching for the perfect pattern I decided on the Topiary Beanie.

       Link here to pattern on Ravelry: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/topiary-beanie

A rather simple project, I thought, as I casted on the stitches for my new cute hat!  This is when the war began.  I am knitting along my merry way when I realized something was wrong.  The stitches for the lace section were off.   Hmmmm. Is there an errata?  Nope.  Did I miscount?  Nope.  Am I reading the chart wrong?  Quickly reread the symbols.  Nope all looks good.  Weird. But I knitted on, as I could see what was supposed to be happening and adjusted my stitches in an effort to make it work. And it did.  I was battling this hat every row.  Adding a stitch here minus one there.  Back and forth I went.  

So, I am on my LAST repeat of the lace pattern when I realized there were 2 symbols for KF&B of a stitch.  That can't be!  I reread the symbols for the 20th time.  20th!  There it was plain as day. Why did it take this long to realize my mistake?   The symbol was for KF&B and FRONT again of the same stitch.  

Unbelievable!  It was me all along.   This one stitch was the key piece in ending my war with this hat.  

What did this simple hat teach me?  I learned no matter how long you've been knitting 1 day, 1 month, 1 year or 100 years you need to read the directions completely and you WILL make mistakes.  Never take your experience for granted.  I should have taken my time and read each symbol not glance at the first couple of words and assume I got them all.  Lesson learned.  

I only have a about 20 rows to go and when I finish tonight, hopefully, I will give myself a pat on the back.  Mission accomplished and a lesson learned the hard way!!

No comments:

Post a Comment