Thursday, April 15, 2010

My first Attempt at Dyeing Yarn

Today I decided to try dying yarn.  I bought the dye almost a year ago and have yet to find the time to try it.   For some reason today seemed to be the right day.  I am using some wool yarn that I already have.  I wound it on my swift.  Tied it in four spots and dunked it in room temp water.  At the same time I heated a pot with water on my stove just before it started to boil.  Squeezed the water out of it and stuck it in the pot. Fingers crossed.  I have stirred it a few times.  I am so impatient.  I want it done immediately.  I have no idea how I am going to pass the time while it dries.... The timer on the stove says 12+ minutes until it is done (according to the directions on the bottle)

It is supposed to come out to a burnt orange.  Although it looks red in the pot.  I hope it is not read as I have enough of that color yarn...

Has anyone else tried this recently?  I would love to hear some tips or suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment