Thursday, March 13, 2014

On the hunt for new interchangeable knitting needles

Last week I had 3 cables break on my much loved Knit Picks Interchangeable needles and that was the last straw!  It took every bit of my patience not to break them all over my knee and it's a good that I don't a fireplace because I would have thrown them right in!
 
Yes, I am aware that I can call Knit Picks and they will send me new cords at no charge but it doesn't make knitting and dropped stitches any less annoying or frustrating.   This is not the first time this has happened to me it's probably the 4th.  The other issue I have with them is that each needle size is NOT MARKED on the needles at all.  I am constantly have to use my needle gauge to figure out what size it is.  (I have multiples in same sizes)

I think I have given them a very good test and in the end I am not happy.

I know that I want metal and I also know that I want the tips to be pointy.  I have narrowed down my choices to Addi Turbo Lace, Hiya Hiya or ChiaoGoo Red Lace needles.  All will definitely be an investment as they are not cheap by any means.   I was going to order a complete set but after giving it some more thought last night I think the smalls would be best.  Here are some of the positives on ChiaoGoo that I have discovered so far:

1. Set comes 2-8 and they are the only company that has sz. 2 & 3 in interchangeable (Yeah!)

2. The case is beautiful unlike Knit Picks Plastic garbage case which is useless.

3. The red steel wires are covered with red plastic which does not kink, is so flexible and not to mention
    pretty.

4. Points are super pointy and the yarn glides beautifully and seamlessly.  They are metal but have a
    slight amount of grip on the yarn which doesn't even slow me down and I am a very fast knitter.

The only thing that I am worried about is that, for some knitters,  the needle unscrews from the wire even after tightening which results in dropped stitches.

(See this great blogpost by Modern/Vintage Here)

Obviously, I won't know if I am one of those unfortunate knitters until I try them.

ADDI's connect just like the Knit Picks which I already know work great for me and the thought of dropping $90 on a set which may not work for me is scary.  

I did order a Addi Turbo fixed 24" long tip from ebay and I am waiting for it to come.  I will post my review once I've had a chance to knit with them.  One of my local yarn stores does carry Hiya Hiya needles as well as Chiagoo and Addi Turbo but they are out of stock in the size I want to test.  So, I am awaiting their arrival.


No comments:

Post a Comment